Park and state forest closures
The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) and Parks Victoria have closed a number of national parks and state forests around Mount Feathertop and Mount Beauty in the north east of Victoria because of a fire burning in the area.
DSE Agency Commander David Nugent said for the safety of the public the parks have been closed until further notice.
“People who had planned to visit these affected areas over the Australia Day long weekend will need to rearrange their travel plans
“The fire is burning four kilometres north east of Harrietville and with hot, dry and windy conditions this week, is expected to continue to burn for a while.”
The state forests and parks closed are:
· Falls Creek State Forest
· Hotham Heights State Forest
· Bogong State Forest
· Tawonga South State Forest
· Smoko State Forest
· Freeburgh State Forest
· Germantown State Forest
· Harrietville State Forest
· Bright State Forest
· Wandiligong State Forest
· The Alpine National Park is closed east of Harrietville, west of the Kiewa River West Branch, and to the north west of Mount Feathertop
· Mount Feathertop and its approaches are closed
· In addition, the southern part of the Alpine National Park (Wonangatta – Moroka) section remains closed due to the Aberfeldy fire.
For more information about park closures visit the Parks Victoria website www.parks.vic.gov.au.