News & Media

Amendments to the Working with Children Act 2005

By: CFA News

Category: Other

  10.23 AM 1 August, 2017

Location: General

Views: 10335

As of today (Tuesday, 1 August 2017) changes come into effect to the Working with Children Act 2005 which aim to strengthen the protection of children.

Who does this affect?

Changes to The Act will now require the following roles to have a WWCC:

  •          Junior leaders
  •          Juvenile Fire Awareness Intervention Program (JFAIP)
  •          Fire Safe Kids presenters
  •          Fire Safe Youth presenters
  •          Mobile Engagement Unit (MEU) presenters

From today, CFA needs to ensure that anyone who performs the above roles have provided CFA with a copy of their WWCC or cease delivering the programs until such time that a WWCC is provided.

Those who hold the competencies/endorsements for the above roles have received direct communication from CFA about what they need to do.


When is a WWCC not required?

No other CFA staff member or volunteer are required by law to obtain a WWCC or provide a copy to CFA.

You do not need a WWCC if you interact with children in other activities such as station visits, festivals, open days, fundraising or emergency response; this is part of your normal duties.

Emergency response and community engagement are not considered 'child-related work' under the Working with Children Act, even if they involve direct contact with children.

Why am I being asked to supply a WWCC by organisations we partner with?

This is particularly relevant to brigades that deliver VCAL and Advance (for example), who are being asked to provide checks when they visit schools.

Many organisations (particularly schools) have created their own policy requirements for Working with Children Checks. This means that although you are not legally required to have a WWCC because you do not hold one of the above roles, another organisation can prevent you entering their premises or attending events without one.

Whilst it is true that you do not legally require a WWCC, it is also true that you may be unable to participate in school-based events and activities without one.

Anyone can apply for a Volunteer WWCC; they are free and can be obtained online at

Further information, answers to FAQs, links to external websites or how to provide a copy of your card to CFA can be found at

Or by contacting the Child Safety Officer

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Last Updated: 01 August 2017