- Latest news
- South West
- South East
- North East
- North West
- Media Releases
- Community Safety
- Events / Fundraising / Offers
- Incidents - Bushfire
- Incidents - Other
- Incidents - Structure
- Incidents - Vehicle / Rescue / Hazmat
- Vehicles / Equipment / Buildings
- Operational Information
- Planning & Research
- Training & Recruitment
- Youth & Juniors
- Health & Safety
- CEO Updates
- Chief Officer Updates
Call for Aus Fire Service Medal nominations
The Australian Fire Service Medal (AFSM) recognises distinguished service by members of Australia’s fire service organisations. CFA accepts nominations at any time and all nominations received will be held for consideration at the next available CFA Honours and Awards Review Committee meeting.
The sole criterion for awarding the AFSM is distinguished service. This includes service that’s above and beyond what would be expected from normal service, whether short-term or prolonged. It could be a special achievement or success in the performance of duty in difficult or unusual circumstances, or sustained high-level performance with recognisable benefits for CFA, the fire service in general or the community. Long service should not be used as a basis for making nominations.
Examples of service that could form the basis of a nomination include:
- a distinguished record of fire service or particular service of conspicuous merit including, for example, the development of successful fire control techniques, exceptional service through training or community education, or outstanding service in fire prevention and protection
- outstanding success in organising fire service resources or in maintaining their organisation under special difficulties
- prolonged service when distinguished by very exceptional ability and merit.
For information regarding the criteria, how to apply and the nomination process, please refer to the CFA Honours and Awards Manual which is available through Brigades Online.
File path: Brigades Online > Brigade > Service History & Awards > About the Awards