- Latest news
- South West
- South East
- North East
- North West
- Media Releases
- Community Safety
- Events / Fundraising / Offers
- Incidents - Bushfire
- Incidents - Other
- Incidents - Structure
- Incidents - Vehicle / Rescue / Hazmat
- Vehicles / Equipment / Buildings
- Operational Information
- Planning & Research
- Training & Recruitment
- Youth & Juniors
- Health & Safety
- CEO Updates
- Chief Officer Updates
D9 learns about ladder platform
Narracan Group held a District 9 exercise at the Gippsland TAFE Yallourn Campus in Newborough on Sunday 23 June.
The day kicked off with a debrief from Group Officer Howard who stated the main focus of the day was to give members an understanding of the capabilities and needs of the Traralgon Ladder Platform with the following key points.
- To look at pre-plans for the TAFE and other locations that brigades have within their response area.
- What vehicles do we need to supply water to it?
- How many vehicles do we need to able to supply enough water for it to be used to its best ability?
- Pre-planning the placement of vehicles to allow the Ladder Platform to locate without upsetting the current firefight.
It was a great “show & tell” day for members to look over other vehicles within theirs and surrounding groups. This included going for a drive and operating equipment and seeing if one of these vehicles would suit their needs.
Crews got an appreciation of the capabilities of the Ladder Platform and its flexibility. Brigades no longer have to wait for a ladder platform to come from the Metro area anymore as we now have one located within the district.
One of the main aims of the day was for members to take this new information and skill back to their own locations and work on their pre-plans to accommodate the ladder platform into the fire fight. “It is available so let’s use it and don’t be afraid”.
Members also tried their hand at CABA (compressed air breathing apparatus) training for skills maintenance and also for newer members who don’t yet have accreditation.
The day ended with crews going back to Newborough Fire Station for a BBQ catered by members from Longwarry & District Fire Brigade.
Thanks to all those involved especially the staff and volunteers from Traralgon for their time with the Ladder Platform and BA van.
Images & story by Troy Longson – CFA Photographer