News & Media

Licola Road Update

By: CFA Media

Category: Community Safety, Operational Information

  11.05 AM 21 January, 2013

Location: General

Views: 4317

Restricted access has now been restored to Licola Road, all the way from Licola to Heyfield.

This means residents of the immediate area; people providing recovery and relief services, Council or VicRoads employees or sub-contractors, and business owners in the immediate area can now access Licola.

Residents/property owners in these locations will need to supply clear evidence/proof of occupancy within the area, at the road block at the intersection of Licola Road and Kellehers Road. This would be in the form of a photo ID i.e. driver’s licence. For others it would require organisational ID, CFA/DSE Media Accreditation and suitable identification for business owners.

If community members cannot supply any form of identification then you should attend the Heyfield Incident Control centre (1 Firebrace Road Heyfield) to obtain a permit to access through the road block.

People need to be aware that road safety conditions may have changed due to fire activity; there may be no signs, no line marking or safety barriers.

Emergency Services will also be in the area using heavy machinery to clear roads. Roaming animals, fallen trees and vegetation may also be in the roadside area.

Drivers should take care on the roads and avoid unnecessary travel, particularly in fire-affected areas.

Changes to road conditions and access levels can happen quickly, so it is best to check the VicRoads website regularly or call the VicRoads Traffic Management Centre on 13 11 70.

Bushfires can leave potential health hazards on your property. Wear protective clothing. Where at all possible try to avoid taking children onto fire-damaged properties. For further information about protecting yourself and family members go to:

For information on fires in Victoria and general fire safety, please contact the Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) on freecall 1800 240 667. Callers who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech / communication impairment may contact VBIL via the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677

People should also tune in to their emergency broadcasters: ABC Local Radio, commercial radio and designated community radio stations or SKY NEWS Television.

Information is online at or

Last Updated: 21 January 2013