- Latest news
- South West
- South East
- North East
- North West
- Media Releases
- Community Safety
- Events / Fundraising / Offers
- Incidents - Bushfire
- Incidents - Other
- Incidents - Structure
- Incidents - Vehicle / Rescue / Hazmat
- Vehicles / Equipment / Buildings
- Operational Information
- Planning & Research
- Training & Recruitment
- Youth & Juniors
- Health & Safety
- CEO Updates
- Chief Officer Updates
Sandford station opening
On Sunday 21 October 2012, approximately 80 CFA volunteers, family members, members of the community and VIPs attended the opening of the Sandford Fire Station.
The station was officially opened by Hugh Delahunty, MP, Member for Lowan.
The Sandford brigade was officially formed by the local community in 1920 and was known as “The Sandford Bush Fire Brigade” until a change in 1940 which saw them become a part of the CFA.
The equipment held by the brigade prior to 1940 was 50 odd leather beaters and two fire lighters and once they became affiliated with the CFA they purchased two knapsacks.
In 1942 the brigade purchased a small tank and hand pump and in 1967, 1978, 1992 and 1998 respectively, saw truck upgrades, to mostly second hand vehicles; however the brigade expects to have their new medium tanker within the next 12 months.
Over the years the Sandford brigade have supported many of the major fires across the state such as the Western District fires in 1977, Ash Wednesday in 1983 and Black Saturday fires in 2009 as well as the major fires, the brigade supports other brigades within the local area with grass and scrub fires and structural fires. Some of the areas the brigade have supported Casterton, Henty, Merino, Carapook, Muntham, Heywood, Dunrobin & Nangeela and Tyrendarra,
The new station for the brigade replaces a 42 year old building and will cater for the brigades current and future needs. The station facilities include environmental benefits such as incorporated technology, station parking bay and improved meeting room and training facilities which will help to enhance and strengthen the brigade and their relationship with the brigade.
The station is fitted with two bays which will house the brigade tanker and other resources that can be utilised throughout the district such as collar tanks and quickfill pumps. Rainwater tanks were also installed to provide domestic water use and assist in cleaning the appliance when required.
At the opening the Operations Officer, Brian Brady from District 4, took the opportunity to present the brigade with service awards.
5 Year Certificate of Service ~ Firefighter Dave Martin
10 Year Medal ~ Firefighter Matthew Egger, Michael Jarrad and Scott Lane
15 Year Medal ~ Captain Glen Bergroth and Firefighter Mick Wilson
20 Year Medal ~ Firefighter Craig McDonald
25 Year Medal ~ Firefighter Ross Gardiner and Secretary Andrew Northcott
30 Year Medal ~ 1st Lieutenant John Frankensteiner and 3rd Lieutenant Ian McSwain
45 Year Medal ~ 4th Lieutenant Chris Jarrad and Communications Officer Geoffrey Mitchell
65 Year Life Member Medal ~ Brigade Member John Cleary
70 Year Medal ~ Brigade Member Jim Widdicombe
John Cleary was also awarded VFBV Certificate of appreciation and Plaque..
The brigade currently has 40 members and attends an average of approximately seven incidents a year which comprises of grass, scrub and bushfires, remote structure fires such as homes and sheds and also motor vehicle accidents.