News & Media

Transferring of Volunteers - Brigade to Brigade

By: Lex De Man

  11.00 AM 30 April, 2012

Views: 6315

I am pleased to advise that volunteer members can now transfer from one brigade to another and still remain a member of CFA, without the need to show they've resigned on CFA's data system.

Previously our CFA Resource Management System (RMS) database was modelled in a way that made it necessary to record that a member had resigned if moving from one brigade to another.

Recent changes to this system now mean that a volunteer wishing to transfer between brigades will no longer be shown as having ‘resigned' on their RMS database records, but instead will be shown as ‘transferred.' The change on the RMS system came into operation from the week commencing the 16th April 2012.

This issue was mentioned in the Jones Report - ‘Inquiry into the Effect of Arrangements made by the CFA on its Volunteers'. Consequently we saw this as a priority matter that needed to be fixed as soon as possible. In developing the new process we consulted with CFA District Staff and the VFBV. Direct input was also provided by members of the RMS User Group, whose membership comprises of representation from Finance and Admin Managers, and District Support Officer's from across the State.

A new Transfer Form has been designed which, in due course will dovetail into the Brigade Classification Project. An appropriate Business Rule has been developed for CFA District staff who manage the membership process. This will ensure consistency and continuity across the State.

Membership Applications Forms
There are now three types of membership application forms: For junior members there are no changes to the way they are processed, and there are no changes to the way new senior members are processed.

For those senior members transferring or juniors transferring to senior membership a new blue form will need to be filled including a complete National Police History Checks and Medical Check.

All District Offices will receive deliveries of the new Transfer Forms in the coming weeks with instructions to assist with the communication to Brigades.

Brigade process for transferring volunteers
There are three important procedures that brigades need to take when members transfer in or out of the brigade or you have a new member to sign up.

First, when a member notifies the brigade of their intention to transfer, the brigade must complete the Amendment to Member Status Form and send it to the District Office ASAP. Brigades should note that this transfer does not have to go to a brigade meeting for endorsement.

When a volunteer is joining your brigade from another brigade you need to complete the blue coloured Brigade Member Transfer Application form
The process is still the same as a new member application; volunteers will need to complete a National Police History Check, complete Medical Forms,
Finally the brigade will then need to send the top copy to District HQ for processing with the relevant paperwork attached.

CFA District HQ office will then update the details onto RMS. The volunteer records will now show that the volunteer has transferred from one brigade to another rather than resigning.

If you have any matters that you wish to get clarification on please contact your local District HQ.

Lex de Man AFSM
Executive Director
Operational Training & Volunteerism

Last Updated: 10 December 2015