Asset Publisher

Fire restrictions announced for parts of North West

  | CFA Media Views: 3490

The Fire Danger Period has been announced for parts of CFA's North West Region.

Fire restrictions announced for parts of North West

It will begin at 01.00am on Monday 14 October, 2019, in:

  • Mildura Rural City Council
  • Yarriambiack Shire Council (north of Galaquil West Road and Galaquil East Road)

It will begin at 01.00am on Monday 21 October, 2019, in:

  • Gannawarra Shire (District 20)
  • Swan Hill Rural Council (District 18)

It will begin at 01.00am on Monday 4 November, 2019, in:

  • Campaspe Shire (District 20)
  • Loddon Shire (District 20)

The Fire Danger period will end in all three municipalities on 1 May, 2020, unless otherwise stated.

The Seasonal Bushfire Outlook for Southern Australia released in late August identified potential for above normal bushfire activity across the coastal and foothill forests of East Gippsland, and the risk that ash forests in the central highlands and Otways may dry out faster and become more flammable than normal during summer.

Across the rest of Victoria, normal bushfire activity is expected, but CFA reminds Victorians that even an average fire season in the state can be a bad one.

CFA District 20 Acting Operations Manager Mick Lavery said winter rains had resulted in plenty of vegetation growth across District 20, which takes in the three municipalities Gannawarra, Campaspe and Loddon.

“This will become a high fire risk throughout the summer if not properly managed,” he said.

“Reducing fuel loads will ensure that if a fire does break out, it has less chance of taking hold or spreading.”

“While CFA and its partner agencies Parks Victoria, Forest Fire Management, DELWP and Emergency Management Victoria are doing everything we can to prepare for the bushfire season, we look to the community to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.”

District 18 Operations Manager John Bigham added residents still had a few weeks of opportunity to clean up their properties.

“People need to be aware that if using fire to clean up around their properties they need to register the details on 1800 668 511. So far this year, out-of-control burn-offs and unregistered burn-offs have already caused unnecessary call-outs to for brigades," he said.

“You should not burn off when winds are high, or high winds are forecast – not only on the day of your burn but for the days afterwards.

 “For information about other restrictions specific to your area, consult your local council.”

Mr Bigham said once the FDP comes into effect, CFA has a zero-tolerance approach to any fires that have started from negligent behaviour.

“Expect any fire you start to be fully investigated by CFA and Victoria Police,” he said.

CFA does issue permits for a certain situations during the FDP. There are very strict conditions attached to these permits, and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely.

During the Fire Danger Period (FDP) fires cannot be lit in the open air without a written permit from CFA or a Municipal Fire Prevention Officer. FDPs are based on local conditions and take into account fuel moisture, fuel loads, grassland curing, weather and rainfall.

Fire Danger Period information and restrictions are published at Please note that the latest restrictions will be published on this page the Tuesday before they come into force. 

Victorians can find out “Can I or Can’t I?” information at or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226. All burn-offs should be registered with the VicFire Burn-off notification line on 1800 668 511.

 Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. This permit may be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office. Please check with your municipality in the first instance.
  • Lighting a fire in the open without a permit is an offence and can bring a penalty of over $19,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment. Barbeques and fires for cooking and warmth do not require a permit, but must be lit in properly constructed fireplaces  (to view complete conditions visit
  • The use of an incinerator, chainsaw/lawn mower, welding/grinding equipment and vehicles that come in contact with vegetation and machinery with an internal combustion/heat engine are permitted provided conditions are followed.
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at – this information is important especially for new farmers, bush block owners or hobby farmers.
  • A Total Fire Ban declaration means no fires can be lit for the declared district for that day unless there is a specific exemption or special permit issued. This applies irrespective of the Fire Restriction status for a given municipality. Further details at