Due Date: 1 May, 2018 (CFA closing date)
Nomination Form: Please refer to the attached form or Brigades Online: http://cfaonline.cfa.vic.gov.au/mycfa/Show?pageId=aboutAwards
The Australian Fire Service Medal recognises distinguished service by members of fire services agencies across Australia.
In Victoria, this means a member of the following fire service agencies, as defined in the Emergency Management Manual Victoria, i.e.:
- Country Fire Authority
- Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
Only one award is presented to an individual, and recipients are entitled to use the post-nominal letters ‘AFSM’. Medals are awarded biannually in the Australia Day and the Queen’s Birthday Honours Lists.
How it is awarded
The AFSM is awarded by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the responsible Commonwealth, state or territory ministers.
In Victoria, this is the Minister for Emergency Services, acting on behalf of the Premier of Victoria.
Quota for the AFSM:
For any state, the maximum number if medals awarded in a calendar year is determined on a quota basis, calculated on the number of combined membership of the fire services as at 30 June in the previous calendar year.
For Victoria, the AFSM is limited to:
- One award for each 1,000 (or part of 1000) full-time permanent members of the fire service or combined fire services per calendar year;
- One award for each 5,000 (or part of 5,000) for part-time, volunteer or auxiliary members of the fire service or combined fire services per calendar year; and
- One additional award, which will be awarded at the discretion of the Minister.
There is no obligation to award the entire quota each year.
Are nominations Confidential?
All nominations are strictly confidential and the information provided will be used only to assist in considering the merits of the nomination. The person being nominated should not be approached for information or advised of the confidential nomination at any stage of the process.
Where do I go for assistance?
Phone 9262 8842
Nomination Form via Brigades Onlinehttp://cfaonline.cfa.vic.gov.au/mycfa/Show?pageId=aboutAwards