16 Days of Activism aims to increase awareness of gender-based violence, ensure prevention, and demand accountability for ending gender-based violence and discrimination in all spheres.
The 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence is an annual international campaign that kicks off on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and runs until 10 December, Human Rights Day.
Ending gender-based discrimination and violence is a global priority that requires collective action.
As the world retreated inside homes due to the lockdown measures introduced to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, reports showed an alarming increase in the already existing pandemic of violence against women.
Each one of us can make a difference during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and protracted state of crisis it has generated across the world. You can support women and girl survivors of violence to stay safe and free of violence.
16 Days of Activism first started by activists at the inaugural Women’s Global Leadership Institute in 1991 and continues to be coordinated each year by the Centre for Women’s Global Leadership.
This year’s theme is ‘Orange the World: Fund, Respond, Prevent, Collect!’
Demonstrate your support for ending gender-based violence this year during 16 days of Activism from 25th November until 10th December by adding this day to your calendar as a reminder to show your support.
How to get involved
Active Bystander Online Training
Active Bystander training is a two-and-a-half-hour course designed to equip CFA people with the skills and confidence to identify and respond to instances of gender inequality and behaviour that both disrespects women and condones violence against women.
It is being made available as part of CFA’s involvement in 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence. Read more information on
To register to attend either training session email the Inclusion and Fairness team with your details and preference of either 10am-12.30pm, Tuesday 24 November or 7pm-9.30pm, Tuesday 8 December.
Increase your and your members’ understanding of Gender Based Violence by promoting:
- A Gender Inclusion training module is available to all members via the CFA Learning Hub
- Visit Our Watch
- Visit Respect Victoria
- Share our Social Media and News and Media content
- Invite a guest speaker to talk online at a DPC meeting, Inclusion and Fairness Council meeting, team or brigade meeting
- Hold a virtual recognition event to show your support.
- Post photos online to show your support on Brigade and District Facebook pages
Seek out local events in your community
- Seek out other 16 days of activism events in your local area by contacting your local government or your local LGBTIQ community groups
- Encourage and support members from your regional and district offices to attend these online events
The Inclusion and Fairness Team would love to hear what you or your local brigade is doing to celebrate 16 Days of Activism. If you have a story or photo to share, or seek assistance please contact the Inclusion and Fairness Team at email@example.com