Fire Danger Period declared for municipalites across Victoria

The Fire Danger Period will begin at 01.00am on Monday, 19 November 2018 for the following municipalities across Victoria.

  • Bass Coast Shire Council
  • Cardinia Shire Council
  • Casey City Council
  • Frankston City Council
  • Greater Dandenong City Council
  • Kingston City Council
  • Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
  • French Island
  • Baw Baw Shire Council
  • South Gippsland Shire Council
  • Knox City Council
  • Manningham City Council
  • Maroondah City Council
  • Yarra Ranges Shire Council
  • Banyule City Council
  • Hume City Council
  • Melton City Council
  • Nillumbik Shire Council
  • Whittlesea City Council
  • Wyndham City Council
  • Latrobe City Council
  • Colac Otway Shire Council
  • Corangamite Shire Council
  • Ararat Rural City Council
  • Pyrenees Shire Council (Remainder)

During the Fire Danger Period (FDP) fires cannot be lit in the open air without a written permit from CFA or a Municipal Fire Prevention Officer. FDPs are based on local conditions and take into account fuel moisture, fuel loads, grassland curing, weather and rainfall.

CFA does issue permits for a certain situations during the FDP. These are mainly for critical industry and other purposes. There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely.

People need to be aware that if using fire to clean up around their properties they need to register these on 1800 668 511

Fire Danger Period information and restrictions are published at Please note that the latest restrictions will be published on this page the Tuesday before they come into force. 

Victorians can find out “Can I or Can’t I?” information at or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226. All burn-offs should be registered with the VicFire Burn-off notification line on 1800 668 511.


Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. This permit may be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office. Please check with your municipality in the first instance.
  • Lighting a fire in the open without a permit is an offence and can bring a penalty of over $19,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment. Barbeques and fires for cooking and warmth do not require a permit, but must be lit in properly constructed fireplaces  (to view complete conditions visit
  • The use of an incinerator, chainsaw/lawn mower, welding/grinding equipment and vehicles that come in contact with vegetation and machinery with an internal combustion/heat engine are permitted provided conditions are followed.
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at - this information is important especially for new farmers, bush block owners or hobby farmers.
  • A Total Fire Ban declaration means no fires can be lit for the declared district for that day unless there is a specific exemption or special permit issued. This applies irrespective of the Fire Restriction status for a given municipality. Further details at

Author: CFA News and Media