Fire restrictions announced for Mildura

Member News image Fire restrictions for District 18


The Fire Danger Period (FDP) will begin at 01.00am on Monday, 30 October for the following municipality in CFA’s District 18 - Mildura Rural City Council


The El Nino weather pattern means Victorians can expect a hotter and drier summer than recent years, and communities should begin preparing their properties and creating a Bushfire Survival Plan. 

The latest Seasonal Bushfire Outlook for Spring predicts the fire risk in the coming months to be normal across the state, as well as strong drying patterns in Gippsland’s forested areas. 

CFA District 18 Assistant Chief Fire Officer Gavin Wright said grass and crops across the Mallee were curing rapidly.  

“This is combined with the vegetation growth along roadsides and in public reserves that has been fuelled by underlying soil moisture the fire danger is increasing daily,” he said.   

“I urge residents and farmers across the Mallee to complete their fire prevention activities prior to the commencement of the declared fire danger period.”  

While CFA’s 52,000 members are poised to respond and support communities this bushfire season, they’re urging people to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires. 

Residents in District 18 are asked to take this opportunity ahead of the FDP to clean up their properties. 

Those conducting burn-offs must notify authorities online at the Fire Permits Victoria website (, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.  

By registering your burn-off online, you allow emergency call takers to allocate more of their time taking calls from people who need emergency assistance immediately. 

No burning off is permitted during the FDP without a Permit to Burn, which can be applied for through the Fire Permits Victoria website. 

There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely.   

Fire Danger Period information: 

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. You can apply for a permit at It can also be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office.  
  • Lighting fires in the open without a permit can bring a penalty of more than $21,800 and/or 12 months imprisonment. For a full list of conditions, visit 
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at 
  • More information about FDPs is available online at 

To find out what you can and can’t do during FDP, visit or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226. 


Submitted by CFA Media