Fire restrictions announced for Northern Grampians

Member News image


Fire restrictions have been announced for Northern Grampians Shire.


The Fire Danger Period will begin at 01.00am on  Monday 6 December 2021 for the following municipalities in CFA’s West Region:

  • Northern Grampians Shire

Fire Danger Period restrictions already applies across parts of Victoria’s North West, with further Fire Danger Periods will be introduced across Victoria in the coming weeks in accordance with local conditions.

The Seasonal Bushfire Outlook for Victoria released on 26 August identified potential for increased grassfire conditions for the 2021/22 fire season.

Much of Victoria has experienced average to above average rainfall during winter and this is likely to result in continuous grass and crop fuels through most areas west and north of the Great Dividing Range.

Above normal pasture growth in the Wimmera and the Mallee fire districts may see an increase in fire potential in late spring, prior to harvest.

However, CFA District 16 Assistant Chief Fire Officer (ACFO) Bernie Fradd reminded Victorians that even an average fire season in this state can still be a bad one.

“Conditions through the last fire season were similar to what we’re expecting this year, and during those months we saw significant grass fires in the north and west of the state,” he said.

ACFO Bernie Fradd said the recent good rains has generated abundant growth in grasslands and crop. 

“Once these fully dry out, the potential for significant fires in the local area cannot be underestimated,” said ACFO Fradd.

“There is still time to ensure homes and properties are well prepared.  Mowing or slashing grasslands and clearing undergrowth can all be still done safely, and I urge residents to use the next few weeks while the grass is green and the weather mild to undertake this important work.

“It is also very important to check any burn-offs that have been done over winter to ensure they are fully extinguished.

“This means raking over the ash and coals to ensure there are no hot spots or smouldering logs or roots, as it is not uncommon for large piles and burn offs to continue burning unnoticed for months only to escape when we have hot, dry and windy conditions later in the year.  

“While CFA and our partner agencies Fire Rescue Victoria and Forest Fire Management Victoria are doing everything we can to prepare for the bushfire season, we look to the community to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.”

If people are using fire to clean up around their properties, they should register these at the Fire Permits Website, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.

ACFO Fradd said there is still an opportunity to clean up properties if that work hasn’t already been done.

“Out-of-control burn-offs and unregistered burn-offs have already caused unnecessary callouts to brigades,” he said.

“You should also check and monitor weather conditions and not burn off in windy conditions or if high winds are forecast – not only on the day of your burn but for the days afterwards.

“More information about burn-off restrictions specific to your area can be found by consulting your local council.”

ACFO Fradd said once the Fire Danger Period (FDP) comes into effect, CFA has a zero-tolerance approach to any fires caused by negligent behaviour.

“Expect any escaped or uncontrolled fire you start to be investigated by CFA and Victoria Police,” he said.

Once a Fire Danger Period has been declared in your local government area, fires cannot be lit in the open air without a written permit from CFA or a Municipal Fire Prevention Officer. There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely.

You can apply for a permit at

Fire Danger Periods are based on local conditions and take into account fuel moisture, fuel loads, grassland curing, weather and rainfall. More information and restrictions are published at Please note the latest restrictions will be published on this page by the Tuesday before they come into force. 

Victorians can find out “Can I or Can’t I?” information at or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226. All burn-offs should be registered at or with the VicFire Burn-off notification line on 1800 668 511.


Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. This permit may be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office. You can apply for a permit at
  • Lighting a fire in the open without a permit is an offence and can bring a penalty of over $19,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment. Barbeques and fires for cooking and warmth do not require a permit, but must be lit in properly constructed fireplaces  (to view complete conditions visit
  • The use of an incinerator, chainsaw/lawn mower, welding/grinding equipment and vehicles that come in contact with vegetation and machinery with an internal combustion/heat engine are permitted provided conditions are followed.
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at – this information is important especially for new farmers, bush block owners or hobby farmers.
  • A Total Fire Ban declaration means no fires can be lit for the declared district for that day unless there is a specific exemption or special permit issued. This applies irrespective of the Fire Restriction status for a given municipality. Further details at


Submitted by CFA Media