CFA members can download maps in Vicmap Viewer free of charge - but be quick because the offer is only available from 19 October until 2 November.
Vicmap Viewer is a mobile mapping application developed by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) to provide easy access to more than 10,000 state-wide digital topographic maps.
Vicmap Topographic maps depict natural and constructed features including waterways, roads, park boundaries and emergency services facilities. These maps are available in 1:25K, 1:30K, 1:50k and 1:100K map scales, and maintained using the latest Vicmap data, Victoria’s authoritative spatial information.
Vicmap Viewer doesn’t replace Spatial Vision Map as CFA’s primary response navigation tool. It should be considered for secondary navigation and information only.
The maps can be used as a reference tool on larger fires, and once downloaded they can be viewed on your device offline using a PDF reader, or other software such as Avenza. They are also able to be printed as required.
How to access the offer
• Email Harry Smiles at email@example.com to receive your access code
• Download the app from the iTunes App Store or the Google Play store (just search VicMap)
• Create an account using either your personal CFA email address for your own phone, or your brigade’s contact email for brigade and group devices. You will have to verify the account through the email address you use
• Add the map(s) you want to your cart. Once you have the maps you need, click on the shopping trolley icon.
• You will see a total amount for your maps but don’t panic; click on the volunteer coupon code section and add the coupon code provided.
• Once you add the code, the total should go to zero. If the total doesn't return to zero or you are prompted for payment - please re-enter the code and try again. You will not be asked for payment details if the code has been entered correctly.
• You can now download the maps by clicking the download button.
Remember: Vicmap Viewer doesn’t replace Spatial Vision Map as CFA’s primary response navigation tool. It should be considered for secondary navigation and information only.
The free map offer closes Monday, 2 November 2020.
For further information or queries please email Harry Smiles