According to the latest Australian Seasonal Outlook, above average summer rainfall has led to a reduced bushfire risk for autumn.
These conditions have led to a reduced fire activity in both grasslands and forests this summer.
Much of Victoria will continue to experience milder conditions and lower bushfire potential over the coming months.
CFA District 4 Assistant Chief Fire Officer (ACFO) John Leben said while the FDP is coming to an end in some areas, it is still important to remain vigilant.
“We’re urging everyone to stay safe, whether you’re living in or travelling to high bushfire risk areas,” said ACFO Leben.
“Please monitor the conditions on hot, dry and windy days, as we may still see some days of elevated fire risk.”
While the Fire Danger Period will come to an end, it is still important that residents check the local conditions are safe for any burn-off they were considering undertaking.
“You must register your burn-offs, check weather conditions and follow local council laws and regulations,” ACFO Leben said.
“Registering your burn-off ensures that if somebody reports smoke, the incident will be cross-checked with the burn-off register, which will then prevent CFA crews wasting resources and showing up at your door.”
Landowners can now register their burn-off online at www.firepermits.vic.gov.au.
Alternatively, you can register with the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) by calling 1800 668 511 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
“When conducting burn-offs, remain alert and always have resources on hand to extinguish the fire.”
Keep your burn off safe and legal:
- Check fire restrictions in your area and always register your burn at www.firepermits.vic.gov.au.
- Check and monitor weather conditions - particularly wind.
- To avoid unnecessary calls to emergency services, notify your neighbours beforehand.
- Leave a three-metre fire break, free from flammable materials around the burn.
- Have sufficient equipment and water to stop the fire spreading.
- Never leave a burn-off unattended - stay for its entire duration.
- If your burn-off gets out of control, call ‘000’ immediately.