Fire restrictions announced for Buloke

Member News image


The Fire Danger Period (FDP) will begin at 1.00am on Monday, 13 November for the Buloke Shire Council.


The El Nino weather pattern means Victorians can expect a hotter and drier summer than recent years, and communities should begin preparing their properties and creating a Bushfire Survival Plan.

CFA District 18 Assistant Chief Fire Officer Gavin Wright said conditions across the Mallee are rapidly drying out.

“Over recent weeks we’ve seen a number of private burn-offs escape, requiring local CFA brigades to be called out to assist the landowner to bring the burn-off back under control,” ACFO Wright said.

“We’re urging residents and farmers to complete their fire prevention activities and property preparation ahead of the FDP, but to make safety a priority when doing so.

“Be sure to register your burn-off, check local conditions on the day, as well as coming days and have enough water and people on hand should you need it.”

While CFA’s 52,000 members are poised to respond and support communities this bushfire season, they’re urging people to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.

Residents in District 18 are asked to take this opportunity ahead of the FDP to clean up their properties.

Those conducting burn-offs must notify authorities online at the Fire Permits Victoria website (, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.

By registering your burn-off online, you allow emergency call takers to allocate more of their time taking calls from people who need emergency assistance immediately.

No burning off is permitted during the FDP without a Permit to Burn, which can be applied for through the Fire Permits Victoria website.

There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely. 

Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. You can apply for a permit at It can also be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office.
  • Lighting fires in the open without a permit can bring a penalty of more than $21,800 and/or 12 months imprisonment. For a full list of conditions, visit
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at
  • More information about FDPs is available online at
  • To find out what you can and can’t do during FDP, visit or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226.


Submitted by CFA Media