Fire restrictions announced for Northern Grampians

Member News image


The Fire Danger Period (FDP) will begin at 1.00am on Monday, 6 November for the Northern Grampians Shire.


The El Niño weather pattern means Victorians can expect a hotter and drier summer than recent years, and communities should begin preparing their properties and creating a Bushfire Survival Plan.

CFA District 16 Assistant Chief Fire Officer Bernie Fradd said while local grass loads are still relatively green and benign it only takes a few warm days for grass to dry off enough to become a fire hazard.

“With September and October having historically low rainfall it is important that people take care while clearing up around their property,” ACFO Fradd said.

“There is still plenty of time to ensure your property is as safe as possible, and we suggest starting with cutting your grass and cleaning up around your households and sheds.

“We want people to take extra precautions this summer and be well prepared and attentive with a plan in place so you are ready to act if fires break out.”

While CFA’s 52,000 members are poised to respond and support communities this bushfire season, they’re urging people to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.

Residents in Northern Grampians Shire are asked to take this opportunity ahead of the FDP to clean up their properties and for landowners to conduct safe private burn-offs where possible.

Those conducting burn-offs must notify authorities online at the Fire Permits Victoria website (, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.

By registering your burn-off online, you allow emergency call takers to allocate more of their time taking calls from people who need emergency assistance immediately.

No burning off is permitted during the FDP without a Permit to Burn, which can be applied for through the Fire Permits Victoria website.

There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely. 

Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. You can apply for a permit at It can also be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office.
  • Lighting fires in the open without a permit can bring a penalty of more than $21,800 and/or 12 months imprisonment. For a full list of conditions, visit
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at
  • More information about FDPs is available online at
  • To find out what you can and can’t do during FDP, visit or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226.


Submitted by CFA Media