Fire restrictions announced for the North East

Member News image


The Fire Danger Period (FDP) will begin at 01.00am on Monday, 27 November for CFA’s North East region, including the following municipalities in District’s 22, 23, 24 and 12.


  • Shire of Moira
  • City of Greater Shepparton
  • Shire of Strathbogie
  • Rural City of Wangaratta
  • Benalla Rural City Council
  • Mansfield Shire Council
  • Mt Buller Alpine Resort
  • Mount Stirling Alpine Resort
  • Indigo Shire Council
  • Towong Shire Council
  • Alpine Shire Council
  • City of Wodonga
  • Mt Hotham Alpine Resort
  • Falls Creek Alpine Resort
  • Mitchell Shire
  • Murrindindi Shire

The El Nino weather pattern means Victorians can expect a hotter and drier summer than recent years, and communities should begin preparing their properties and creating a Bushfire Survival Plan.

CFA Deputy Chief Officer North East Ross Sullivan said across the region we are seeing grass dry out significantly, with vegetation now presenting a yellow colour, indicating an increased fire risk to North East communities. 

“As we head into summer, fuel loads are becoming greater, so we are asking residents to take this opportunity ahead of the restrictions to clean up their properties,” DCO Sullivan said.

“All it takes is some basic maintenance such as clearing your gutters, picking up loose leaves and twigs, pruning tree branches so they aren’t overhanging the roof of your property, or even just keeping your lawn under 10cm tall.

“We are also urging landowners to conduct safe private burn-offs where possible and to register them online in advance.”

While CFA’s 52,000 members are poised to respond and support communities this bushfire season, they’re urging people to use common sense and take responsibility for preventing fires.

Those conducting burn-offs must notify authorities online at the Fire Permits Victoria website (, or by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511.

By registering your burn-off online, you allow emergency call takers to allocate more of their time taking calls from people who need emergency assistance immediately.

No burning off is permitted during the FDP without a Permit to Burn, which can be applied for through the Fire Permits Victoria website.

There are very strict conditions attached to these permits and the liability sits with the permit holder to ensure they always act safely. 

Fire Danger Period information:

  • A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. You can apply for a permit at It can also be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office.
  • Lighting fires in the open without a permit can bring a penalty of more than $21,800 and/or 12 months imprisonment. For a full list of conditions, visit
  • Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at
  • More information about FDPs is available online at

To find out what you can and can’t do during FDP, visit or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226.


Submitted by CFA Media